Friday, August 23, 2013

SDCC 2013 Bongo Comics Panel

As I have made it known on a few occasions I did not attend this years Comic Con and so was not able to attend the Bongo Comics panel and find out all the latest going ons in the house that Bongo built but CBR did attend and they have a rundown of what happened here:

SDCC 2013 Bongo Comics Panel at CBR

Only a couple of mentions of Futurama Comics - the first being Ian Boothby's story for issue 67 which was released around the time of Comic Con and that Futurama will be getting a Comixology web app similar to the Simpsons app. I have not downloaded the Simpsons app just yet as I still do not have a tablet computer and don't want to read comics on my iPhone but hopefully by the end of the year I will have one ready to go.

Bill Morrison (hey, I thought you didn't work there anymore?) certainly made it sound as if the app is not doing all that great as they are not getting a lot of subscribers and would imagine Futurama would get even less. I do have a couple of things to say about digital comics in general, however.  I am an old schooler in that I prefer to have the actual comic in my hand and be able to look at and hold the artwork. For me there is something cool about having the actual comic book in hand, collecting them and looking over them from time to time. That would be my biggest complaint against digital comics, although, I know this is where the industry is heading and eventually take over. What you hold in your hands today may be the vinyl of the future.

With that being said I do think there is a place for digital comics. One draw back of hard copies - they take up space. Depending upon what you collect and how long you have collected this could be a lot of space. There are certainly comics out there that I wouldn't mind reading but don't have a real interest in owning the actual hard copy of. The Walking Dead is a comic that comes to mind for me and I am sure there are others. Heck, just the amount of great public domain books that are out there means having a great library of literature (yes, I include comics as part of this) in the space of a little table would be worth it to me. Perhaps I am alone in this thinking but I am sure there are many of you out there that prefer to have the hard copy and not a digital of many of the comics you read.

I also think that as digital comics become more prevalent it will change the way comics are created, presented and ultimately consumed. I am eager to see what those changes are and who knows - maybe digital comics will go the way of being short monthly animations with sound and no longer static pages and images.

No comments:

Post a Comment