Thursday, December 15, 2011

Ian Boothby Interview ABPoG Archive


Years ago I was lucky enough (2003 I believe) to have Ian Boothby contact me and he was agreeable to do a little Q/A session regarding his work in comics and his work with Bongo Comics writing the Simpsons. At the time of this interview Ian was just starting to be more productive on the Futurama Comics line and has continued to churn out some fun stuff for Futurama including the Time Bender Trilogy and the groundbreaking Futurama Simpsons Crossover.
I had been lucky enough to discuss Futurama Comics with a number of Bongo creatives and hope to bring some of those interviews as well as new ones to this blog and hope to talk to Ian again real soon. Without further ado:

Ian Boothby Q/A
What titles do you work on regularly for Bongo Comics?
I'm the regular writer for The Simpsons Comics and an occasional writer for Futurama Comics.
What other comics have you or are currently writing for?
18 issues of my self published digest comic "I", 6 of Sqares (yep that's spelled right, also self published), Powerpuff Girls, Scooby Doo and Dexter's Lab for DC and an upcoming jam comic with Robin Konstabaris that collects some strips we did for the Vancouver paper, the westender.
Looks as though I have some hunting to do my next time to my local comic book store and Scooby Doo is one of my nieces favorite characters.
You have written both the Futurama/Simpsons Crossover and issue 13 of the regular series - any plans to contribute stories on a regular basis in the future?
I have a 4 issue story coming up in a few issues that involves time travel, Leela, Fry and Bender going back to elementary school and the entire population of Earth vanishing.
Four-issue story arc? Sounds really cool and my guess is that it is probably part of some Summer spectacular special. Similar to how the big boys do their Summer crossovers but this is all speculation on my part. Still it sounds really exciting.
You mentioned a 4 issue story arc for Futurama - will this be part of Futurama Comics or will it be a special run similar to the Crossover special? Any spoilers for it? Any plans to do another Crossover? Any chance this will be monthly?
Take the last crossover and multiply it by itself. This one is going to be packed with every character EVER! And not just Futurama and Simpsons characters, I mean every character EVER period. I expect the artist will lose an arm in the process from the drawings needed but it will be worth it. No idea if it'll be monthy.
I wonder if anyone is volunteering for that job. I know I would. Packed with every character EVER? Can't wait to see them all Futurama-ized. Just goes to show you that all the cool stuff happens in Futurama Comics.
Will the Crossover ever be available in a collected volume with extra goodies and treats in it?
I hope so, but you gotta ask Bongo. 
You can bet I will at this years San Diego Comic Con. People will be so tired of me asking that they will put it out just to shut me up.
You seem to have a good handle on the characters of Futurama - have you been a fan of the show or has it just come naturally for you? Did you lobby for the oppurtunity to write for Futurama Comics or was it a case where a spot was open and you were the right guy at the right place?
I've enjoyed the show since it came out. I'm not really a sci-fi fan but do like shows such as Red Dwarf and have been involved in my own sci-fi sit com pilot called Space Arm that we did at the CBC here in Canada. I am a comics geek and watch pretty much every movie I can so some sci-fi-itude has rubbed off. As for getting the gig, I was the writer for Simpsons Comics and my buddy and occasional colaberator James Lloyd (who does his own great self published work with books like "Other Stuff" and "The Trip") was working on Futurama. I pitched a couple of ideas, wanting to jam with James and we ended up with the Crossover and my first Futurama comic, "The Bender You Say". James just kicks comic ass.
The four issue arc will be in Futurama comics itself. I believe the crossover will be in its own book like last time but Bongo can confirm that. 
The four issue story arc and the Crossover are seperate! That means another Crossover on the way. Can't wait to see how this pans out and what crazy story Ian will concoct this time around. And I concur - James Lloyd does indeed kick comic ass. I will have to look out for 'Other Stuff' and 'The Trip' as well as the aforementioned Ian Boothby titles. I suggest you all do the same - so says the Hypno-Toad.
Will you be attending the San Diego Comic Con this year? Any special surpises or announcement coming regarding Bongo Comics besides their 10 year anniversary?
Yes sir I'll be there. My amazing girlfriend Pia Guerra is up for an Eisner for her work on "Y The Last Man" so we're both making the trek. I think there's fun to be had with Bongo for the big ten but again gotta pass the buck to Terry and Bill. 
I'm usually there at at least one signing ruining beautiful art people like James and the other amazing Bongo artists do with my dumb jokes.

Ian adds some cool comic relief to some of the sketches done by the Bongo artists and in no way ruins any of the work done by them. When I get a chance I will scan a couple of images that I have and put them up for you to see what I mean. Can't wait to see Ian and the rest of the Bongo crew at the show!

No comments:

Post a Comment