Thursday, September 26, 2013

A Futurama Halloween - Fan Art

Update 9.26.13: So, coming along slowly but surely. Again, hoping to have it completed in time for Halloween but as I move forward it keeps changing and morphing in to something else. Perhaps with the attached color study it will become apparent what the goal of the finished piece will be.

It was always intended to include Fry, Leela, Farnsworth, Bender, and Zoidberg in a special cameo appearance but as I was laying out I thought it might be fun to include Cubert in there as well since he is a clone of the Professor. It may not be completely clear from the attached update but Cubert is in there along with Fry - you just have to look real close.

This drawing was done for a couple of reasons. The first to finalize the pose, positions, and look of each of the characters. These are the first blushes with Cubert and so may explore his interactions in the final piece. Fry and Leela I have worked out pretty well so I have them set and these newest drawings I have been working on have been to solidify both the Professor and Bender. They have both changed quite a bit from my initial layouts.

The second reason was to start looking at color. Since this is based on a classic horror movie I am looking at doing this as a black and white piece to give it that classic look. These are the first blushes of what it might look like with shadows and shades. If I do get to the point where I am actually finished and do decide to color I will have to figure out if this will be done in Photoshop or by hand. The attached are colored with simple markers and are done to get an idea as to the look and feel of the final piece. That is all for now!!

Original Post 9.14.13: So, been working on a couple of pieces to celebrate Halloween this year Futurama style - hey, the Simpsons can't have all the fun right? As may be clear from the images attached to this post it will be Frankenstein themed but with a bit of a twist that I hope will be fun. It will feature Leela, Fry, Farnsworth, Bender, Zoidberg, and an appearance by Flexo who is one of my favorites.


This first image is a detail study of Fry and Leela with Leela being the bride of Frankenstein and Fry playing the part of the evil Professor's side kick. He did not come out well in this first drawing and so I ditched him in this first study and instead concentrated on Leela on how she might look and how to portray her as the Bride. She came out well but I still wanted to do some further refinement on her as I did want to give her a little bit better pose and a hint of sex appeal.

Fry needed more work as the proportion were way off as I was trying to get the hang of drawing Fry as a hunchback. In the original idea I had him holding a platter with a brain inside but ditched that idea to work around a robot theme and to include Flexo.

This second drawing is to start working out more ideas for not only Fry but Leela as well. Her pose here is much better I feel but did not like the direction of the hair do so will be going back to the original drawing of her. Fry is getting better here (and you can see a previous attempt at Fry which again was to try and work out how he should look. He is still off here but getting better and will need more work to get him down to fit in better. That and his pose is still off as his legs don't look correct and don't reflect the nature of the costume he is wearing. At the very least these drawings give me an opportunity to explore some ideas and bring to light errors and changes that I want to make. In the first I thought I would go with Leela in a long gown more reminiscent of say Elvira but have rethought that and made it more floor length to see her feet - plus it works better interacting with Fry in my opinion.

As mentioned this is a Halloween themed piece and hope to have it completed in time for Halloween. I have another that I might share later that is also Halloween themed that is farther along and at this point just need to be finished and hope to have them both completed in time for spooky season time.









No comments:

Post a Comment