Thursday, September 19, 2013

New Justice Team - Fan Art

The cover to Fantastic Four 1 is an iconic cover that probably near half of the comic book titles and artists out there have paid homage to it over the decades since it has been released. Bongo Comics has done it a few times including the cover to Simpsons Comics 1 and more recently their limited edition run of Comic Book Guy. To date, I am sorry to say, it has never been updated to the 31st Century featuring the Planet Express crew or more appropriately their super heroic counterparts the New Justice Team. That is until now...

This piece I have been thinking about for some time as I would love to see the Futurama gang pay homage to this most iconic of comic book covers and place themselves in the history books of comic book covers. Since Bongo wouldn't do it, I figured I would do it for them. Still working out some of the details here but most of the components are in place. I had struggled with Zoidberg's pose for some time and even tried him out in a pose from another iconic cover (also penciled by the great Jack Kirby) Amazing Fantasy 15 but it just didn't feel right so reworked him to the pose that you see now.

Bender had a different action that I originally had in mind but at the last minute thought it might be good to have him going directly after Mom but upon further reflection have decided that is not the right way to go and so am revising him a bit to fit in more. One thing that I have struggled with is the original FF1 cover have a couple of the main characters facing away from the viewer and I have been trying to rework the New Justice Team to be interacting with the viewer a bit more. This is why you don't see Captain Yesterday on this progress piece as I am trying to find an appropriate pose and inclusion for him. I had plans of possibly including Walt, Larry, and Ignar to mirror Simpsons Comics 1 but as to date they have not fit in as good as I would want them to - who knows, they may still find their way to the final product yet.

Overall it is getting close and thanks to the hard work of Jack Kirby this has actually came together rather quickly - I just followed what he laid down. Still have a ways to go but am getting close and am getting really excited about this.



No comments:

Post a Comment